Home > Heritage > School History
Kong Hwa School:
Our Beginning (1951- 1953)
In the early years immediately after the Japanese Occupation, there was a drastic shortage of schools in Singapore. The late Mr Tan Lark Sye, Chairman of Hokkien Huay Kuan at that time, and the committee members realised the urgent need for education and, in line with the Huay Kuan’s aim to help the community to solve the serious problems of education, decided to build Kong Hwa School.
The plot of land where Kong Hwa School situates was donated by the late Mr Tan Lark Sye, and the late Dr Lee Kong Chian spearheaded the donation drive with a personal donation of $300,000.
Construction of Kong Hwa School started in 1951 in Guillemard Road which was then a swampy area.
光华学校于 1951 年建于基里玛路的沼泽地。
Mr Lau Siu Ching was appointed the first principal of the school.
Kong Hwa School opened its doors and began providing education to children in the suburban area.
The school was originally named after Dr Lee Kong Chian. However, at his request and after much thought and discussion, the Executive Committee decided to rename it “Kong Hwa School” .
Our Growth (1954-1991)
In 1956, with the relocation of the airport and the building of Merdeka Bridge, Guillemard Road became a main road linking to the town area. Flats were built and pupil population increased to one thousand and seven hundred.
1956年，随着加冷机场迁至巴耶里峇，及独立桥的落成和启用，基里玛路不仅成为通往市区的主要公路，周围也建造了许多组屋。种种因素促使这一带的人口大幅度增加，而光华学校的学生也激增至 1700 名。
In April 1957, the school accepted the government’s full grants-in-aid.
At the end of 1960, Hokkien Huay Kuan bought over sixty thousand square feet of land at a cost of $90,000 to construct a secondary school wing. When Nan Chiau Girls' High was reconstructed on site, its students were housed in the new Kong Hwa Wing.
When the rebuilding of Nan Chiau Girls' High school was completed, Hokkien Huay Kuan and Chung Cheng High School committee members met and came to an agreement that the Kong Hwa Wing be exchanged for the Chung Cheng Branch School at Kim Yan Road .
In the second semester of 1960, Mr Lau Siu Ching left his post. Hokkien Huay Kuan moved one of its sponsored school principals, Mr Ngo See Kwee, from Nan Chiau Girls’ High to head Kong Hwa in 1961.
1960年第2学期，刘守潜先生卸下了校长职务。福建会馆调聘属校南侨女子中学代理校长――吴师逵先生于 1961 年起接任校长一职，成为光华学校第二任校长。
Kong Hwa continued its growth as it moved into its 10th year. At its peak, there were 56 classes, 5 Kindergarten classes, 87 teaching staff and the student population stood at 2,540.
When Mr Ngo See Kwee retired from the service, Mr Ng Soh Beng took over the role of principal of the school .
Mr Ng Soh Beng resigned from the post of principal. The position was left vacant and duties were covered by the senior teachers of the school from 1986 to 1987.
黄叔明校长辞卸校长职务。由于一时没有适当人选， 1986 及 1987 年校长一职悬空，由高级教师代行。
Mr Lam Kam Choon was appointed as the principal.
Mrs Pang Hong Tin was appointed as the principal.
Scaling Greater Height (1992-2012)
In 1992, the school was awarded the Special Assistance Plan (SAP) status in recognition of its continued good performance at the PSLE and its strong emphasis on the learning of Chinese and its culture.
The Kong Hwa School Alumni was inaugurated as a society on 10th November 1992. It provided a platform for the alumni to network, contribute and support school activities and programmes.
To facilitate the upgrading of the new school building, Kong Hwa School was temporarily housed at 610 Aljunied Road, the former Aljunied School building.
1992年，由于光华学校连年获得优异的会考成绩，以及在传承中华传统文化方面表现不俗，教育部因此将本校列为全国 15 所特选小学（ SAP ）之一。
校友会于同年 11 月 10 日获社团注册局批准。校友会的成立，除了加强联系校友外，也让新旧校友多了互识互动的平台。最重要的是校友们能实现对母校“饮水思源，回馈母校”的心愿，得以落实。
Topping up ceremony for the reconstruction of Kong Hwa School building was officiated by Mr Wee Cho Yaw, then Chairman of Hokkien Huay Kuan.
Moving back ceremony - Guests, pupils, parents and Kong Hwa School's Alumni members witnessed a very solemn but symbolic moment on the morning of 26 th October 1996. The torch relay was flagged off at Kong Hwa Aljunied and it ended at Kong Hwa Guillemard.
The new building, costing $14 million , was completed at the end of 1997.
The Opening Ceremony was officiated by RADM (NS) Teo Chee Hean, the Minister for Education at that time.
Mrs Pang Hong Tin retired from the education service in June. She was succeeded by Ms Chong Lee Lian.
Kong Hwa’s Very Supportive Parents (VSP) was established in April, fostering greater opportunities for school-parent collaboration.
Ms Chong Lee Lian completed her term as a principal of Kong Hwa School, with Mr Ong Lye Whatt taking over the helm as the 7th principal of the school the following year.
In 2008, the school was awarded the School Distinction Award (SDA); one of the two pinnacle awards under the MOE Masterplan of Awards. It was also validated by Spring Singapore and conferred the Singapore Quality Class (SQC). The awards are a testimony of the many processes and systems that the school has put in place to deliver quality education.
Kong Hwa School underwent its second upgrading in 2010. This time, the school shifted to its holding site at the former MacPherson Secondary School in Circuit Road.
Upon completion of its new campus, the school was able to shift back in mid-2012. To celebrate the Moving back, a relay-walk from Circuit Road to Guillemard Road was organised with participation from Hokkien Huay Kuan, alumni members, parents, teachers and pupils. With this symbolic walk back, it began yet another chapter in the history of Kong Hwa School .