What is Cyber Wellness?
According to MOE and MDA, Cyber Wellness refers to:• Positive well-being of Internet users
• Understanding of the norms of appropriate use
• An awareness of how to protect oneself and other Internet users
• An understanding of the risks of harmful online behaviour
Cyber Wellness Education:
The aim of the cyber wellness education is to help students recognise the power of the web to benefit oneself and the community, so that they have the skills and knowledge to thrive in this new world.
MOE Cyber Wellness Framework
|Cyber Wellness Framework|
|Schools are guided by the CW Framework to plan and implement a holistic CW education which are customized to their student profile and school environment.|
The three CW Principles anchors a child's well-being in cyberspace as they can make careful and well-considered decisions.
The Sense-Think-Act approach aims to develop a child's instinct to act responsibly in cyberspace.
|CW PRINCIPLES||SENSE-THINK-ACT PROCESS|
| Respect for Self and Others reminds students to uphold their own dignity when online and guides students to respect other people online.|
Safe and Responsible Use teachers students to have an understanding of the risks of harmful and illegal online behaviour, inappropriate online content, and to take steps to protect themselves. This principle also guides students to maintain a healthy balance of online and offline activities.
Positive Peer Influence encourages students to be a positive role model online and to advocate positive online behaviour. This includes sharing healthy and positive content, using technology for good, and standing up for victims of cyber bullying.
|CYBER WELLNESS EDUCATION (REVISED)|
|Schools are required to carry out CW lessons via the FTGP/ CCE lessons.|
Beyond CW lessons in FTGP and CCE, subject teachers are encouraged to infuse New Media Literacies as well as CW skills in ICT-enabled lessons (e.g., keep passwords safe and log out of shared computers).
Schools are to supplement CW lessons and ICT-based lessons with CW school programmes.
Goal of MOE’s Cyber Wellness Curriculum
To equip our children with life-long social-emotional competencies and sound values so that they can become safe, respectful responsible users of ICT.
Cyber Wellness Curriculum in Character and Citizenship Education (CCE)
There are four cyber wellness themes.
• Cyber use promotes balanced use of ICT. Are our students in control of their ICT use or are they a slave to technology?
• Cyber identity promotes healthy self-identity online. A well-developed identity enables us to know our strengths, weaknesses, and individual uniqueness. Are they the same person both online and offline? How do our students manage their online reputation?
• Cyber relationship helps students maintain a safe and meaningful one online. Do our students interact online with social-cultural sensitivities? In the lesson on cyber bullying, we teach our students to stand up for and to reach out to peers who are bullied online.
• Cyber citizenship promotes positive presence through helping students understand the cyber world, know how to handle online content and manage contacts. Students learn to make informed decisions about their online participation. Are free Apps really free? How can students create and share their works online? The choices we make are guided by values and reveal our character and value system.
Resources on Parental Controls
To find out how to set up these parental controls and filters, please click the relevant links below:
· Internet Browsers (source obtained from Schoolbag.sg)
· Microsoft Windows Operating System (please note that you have to click on the Windows on the top right corner to select your version of the OS)
Providing a holistic cyber wellness education requires a partnership between schools and parents. Thank you for your commitment in supporting the children as they learn in this 21st century world.
Good Resources - Tips on Cyber Wellness
To find out more tips on Cyber Wellness, please click the relevant links below:
· Media Literacy Council Singapore:
· S.U.R.E Singapore:
. MOE Cyberwellness Connect 2018: